Monday, September 24, 2007

The Good Fairies of New York - Martin Millar

I actually finished this one more than a week ago and just procrastinated on posting about it. I was going to post some quotes from it but, alas, it was already returned to the library.

This is a book that I would concider buying. It was an "end cap at the library" find. It caught my eye because it has "fairies" in the title and the forward was by Neil Gaiman. I realize that a lot of the time when they but a more well know author's name on the cover to promote a book that it doesn't reall mean that much but I figured that this wasn't just a quote, it was the whole forward.

This was one of the best books that I have read in a long long time. It was funny, it was a little sad/tragic and I felt a personal connection to the story - yes, i felt personally connected to a story about scottish fairies lost in New York city. . .

The two main (human) characters reminded me very much of two real people that I know: a person I used to work with (who reminded me of Dinny) and a former student of mine (who reminded me of Kerry). Those these (the people I know) do not know each other (nor do I think that they would ever have reason to) I imagined them as I was reading this book.

This was funny book. but not in the clever word play or silly circumstance way that I normally enjoy (Terry Prachett) This was still clever but unassuming perhaps. Neil Gaiman put it so well in the forward, "He makes jokes with a straight face, and never follows the jokes with a nudge to the ribs or a rim-shot on the cymbal, instead he gest on with telling teh story, funny and moving and wise and filled with people you care about, even if some of them are very small and others have personal habits that frankly leave a great deal to be desired."

This book is a good read.