Sunday, September 27, 2009

Royal Exile - Fiona MacIntosh

I picked this book up without even reading the back. I loved Fiona MacIntosh's The Quickening trilogy and I loved the The Percheron Saga (I have only read the first and second books, I haven't read the third one yet)

This book was really hard to get into though. I picked it up and started it several times before I could really start reading it.
One thing that I don't enjoy is when authors start out with a prolog or what ever they want to call it and/or end with an epilogue that is written in a different style then the rest of the book. I can understand it is a device used to set that section of the story apart from the rest but in many cases I find it off-putting. Especially the beginning of a book. It was only because I have enjoyed her books so much in the past that I was determined enough to push through. Additionally, if I had gotten this book from the library instead of buying it I might not have.

There were some plot points that seemed like a secret was being kept from the reader and I am not sure if the intent was to surprise the reader or perhaps have the reader suspect something but I guessed the "twist" in the first few pages.

Since this book was a new one, I will have to wait a while for the other two to come out. I will probably have to re-read this book before reading the next one.

Maybe by then I will have read the last book in The Percheron Saga.