Deborah Harkness is a historian. I have read one of her books (The Jewel House) for class (actually for two classes) and a few of the papers and articles that she has written. She is a fantastic writer so when I found out that she had written a fiction book, I was interested in reading it.
The beginning of this book is fun for a historian to read - she makes reference to people and ideas that are familiar to me (having studied early English Museums and early chemistry) and her main character starts off doing things that seem normal in the life of an academic historian. It branches out into a crazy world of witches, vampires and demons. Some of the unfolding plot seems familiar (most powerful witch who doesn't know that she is the most powerful witch, needs to learn about her powers, her parents killed by evil witches, and a vampire - the most powerful vampire drawn to this unassuming woman for unknown reasons, must protect her at all costs while keeping her at arms length. . ).
Keeping with the traditions of female fantasy authors, this is supposed to be the first book in a trilogy. It was quite long (around 400 some pages) and the last third of the book seemed to just be a set up for the next.
Over all it was fun. I'm not sure if I would recommend it, but I do recommend Harkness's histories.