Okay, now that I have V for Vendetta and The Watchmen under my belt I thought I may as well read The Sandman I very much enjoy Neil Gaiman and have really only resisted picking this series up because they are expensive. Now that I am using the library more and more and can get them from the library, I have run out of excuses.
This book was more enjoyable to me than the Alan Moore books, I think mainly because it was just a story (atleast so far in the plot) where the Alan Moore books have a very strong social/political commentary. Sometimes I like to think when I read, other times I just like to read. I think I would have to do a whole lot more reading in the graphic novel genre to get into the reading for thinking instead of the reading for entertainment.
Some of the scenes in this book were quite graphic and gory, which I am not into at all. Most of the graphic stuff was depicted in the images, not written and for some reason I found this much less disturbing than some of Gaiman's short stories and poems (Troll Bridge and Mouse for example).
I have decided to continue with this series, for a while atleast.