I bought this book expecting it to be trite (which I was in the mood for). I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of the characters and the integrity of the main character. The concept of a newly wealthy American woman spending her fortune in Europe has the makings of something fun but not meaningful, yet this book showed a lot of human nature and differences in cultures.
The views on Americans in Europe that were presented in this book were not new to me but still makes me pause and consider my actions when I have been in Europe. From the judging of how Americans dress, talk and respond to world events in this book make me worry a bit - but it certainly wont stop me from having a good time when I do travel.
I also wonder at the rate of infidelity that is portrayed in this book and others like it - do people really cheat that much?