I knew there was a movie based on this book (but I hadn't seen it) and there was a big gold medallion on the book saying that it had one the Pulitzer Prize - so I figured it would be a good book.
The setting was interesting -in Newfoundland. I have a recent interest in the Canadian Maritimes and would love a chance to get out there some time, so something set there was interesting to me.
I don't know what I think about this book. It was certainly well written, the story was crafted wonderfully and the characters had depth. It was written in a literary style and it even had a happy (enough) ending. I just didn't really enjoy it. The main character was not really a person that I liked, a lot of the people I didn't like. It wasn't a problem with the author, just me.