This is a book that I read at work during RAP, infact it was one of the books off of my book cart that I have out for the students. I had run out of things that I had brought to read so I just grabbed something. It was interesting.
This book is a memoir of a woman who had been part of the Japanese internment during World War II. It was interesting to read about. this was something that I have had some background knowledge of but had not learned anything directly about.
It was sad to read about how the rights of citizens had been taken away during that time so profoundly. These people were taken aways from their homes, jobs and families were split up. They shoved people in unfinished barraks in the mountains and gave them food that they were not used to eating and left them there for about 3 years. After wards, they closed these camps and told everyone to go away. by this time they had very little money, no houses to go back to or anything.
Such a huge violation of civil rights in this country and it just gets swept under the rug of American history.