Sunday, February 24, 2008

The New Kings of Nonfiction - Edited by Ira Glass

This was a collection of nonfiction, journalistic essays. I enjoyed most of the stories however I did skim over some of them (like the play by play poker game at the end, I just didn't care). This book was edited by Ira Glass of "This American Life" fame and most of these stories read like an episode of the show (which I think is good because I like the show and that's how I found out about this book)

Several of the stories that I really enjoyed with the "The American Male - Age Ten," the one about the British football (soccer) fans and the profile of Saddam Hussein. Just interesting stuff to read.

The comments on this book online mention that several of the stories are quite old or otherwise published and that there is not a fair balence of male/female authors. Well, I still think it is a good book. People can comment all they want about what makes a book not perfect, that's okay but to me, I dont' really need perfection, just a good books.