Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro

I happened to catch this movie on tv a few months ago (I think I was at my mom's house) and I enjoyed it. At the time I was watching it, I didn't know the name of the movie, but figured it out afterwards and thought to myself "oh, so that was that movie"

When I was just last at my mother's house I was going through some boxes of my stuff from years ago and one was a box of books. Most of the books in there were things that I recognized but a few were not things I remembered. In that box (which had been all of my stuff, not anyone elses) was a copy of this book. I do not ever remember reading this book in high school nor do I think I would have had an interest in reading this book in high school. The only thing I can think of was maybe it was for one of the knowledge competitions i went out for. I don't think i read it for a class because I don't remember reading it at all.

The copy of the book ceratinly looked as though I read it (I do have the habit of folding down corners to mark pages. . ) But my only recollection of this story is from seeing the movie.

As I read this book I couldn't help but picture/hear Anthony Hopkins. While I was reading this book, I don't think I was terribly grabbed by the story but upon finishing it, i was left with the feeling that i had just read something really good. I think I would have liked to have been in a book group when this book came out (of atleast before the movie) and had a chance to discuss it (of course, at the time the book actually came out, I was must more into Babysitters Club books. . .)
Perhaps, If my book club is struggling for a book I might still offer this one up.