Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Activating the Desire to Learn - Bob Sullo

This is a book that I read at work during RAP (reading appreciation period) It was one of the books that I got with my ASCD (Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development) membership.

It was filled with case studies highlighting the use of internal motivation mentalities in education. A lot of the case studies were written in a way that I felt was sappy and the dialog that was written isn't dialog that I can imagine actually happening. Even still, I could reflect meaningfully on the information presented.

One thing that was presented in this book that I found interested was in the idea of the Competence Based Classroom model. I like the idea of this and want to learn more about it.

I feel frustrated when I read professional development books like this. I look at all these ways of being a great teacher and I know that I am not anywhere close to being good. I have things that I do well but not great.