Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Universe in a Single Atom - Dalai Lama

Back when I was in college, I took a course called "Ethics in Science & Technology," one of the required readings for that course was the Dalai Lama's Ethics for a New Millennium I can remember reading that book and discussing it and thinking that it was quite thought provoking. It may have been that same year, or perhaps the next that the Dalai Lama was part of a lecture series at the U and I got the opportunity to hear him speak. Though I have do not remember what the lecture was about, I remember that I did really enjoy it.

Since spending some time in a Buddhist country (Thailand), I have also become more interested in learning about this religion in general.

Also, I enjoy reading essays by people who have successfully incorporated both science and religion into their lives (For example, I love reading things written on this subject by people who work for the Vatican Observatory)

When I found this book I was sure that it would be something that I was interested in. I had a hard time enjoying it as a weekend read but now that school has started back up again, I have RAP time. I read this book for RAP.

Over and over throughout the book I found myself wishing that I could have been reading this for a class or even a book club, there were so many fascinating things that I would have loved to chat about.