Sunday, July 26, 2009

Julie & Julia - Julie Powell

There is a movie of this book, it came out (or is coming out?) recently. I don't know if I am interested in seeing the movie but I don't think I would have heard about the book otherwise.

The basis of the book - a woman is going to cook through every recipe in the "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" cookbook in one year. This story is more that only about cooking. I thought the reactions to her quest by the people around her were interesting - I can see how this would be a challenge to take up but I don'' really see why there were people (like her mother) who were so dead set against it.

I think it is neat in this digital age that people can do things like this and get recognized for it.

After reading this book, I am now quite hungry for butter and maybe some wine.