Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag - Robert A. Heinlein

Heinlein was one of my first Sci-Fi/speculative fiction obsessions. I read so many Heinlein books when I was really too young to understand them (the larger books) and worked in many of his shorter (smaller) books along the way. Now that I am slowly going back and re-reading many of these books (now with my adult brain) I am picking up many new things.

This book is not one that I had read before. It was a collection of short stories. The first story, which shares it's name with the book reminded me a lot of reading Neil Gaiman. I realize is almost backward, this book was published in 1959 and Neil Gaiman was born in 1960 (although Heinlein is sited as one of Gaiman's influences)

The Man Who Traveled in Elephants was a sweet story that made me almost cry a little bit.
"All You Zombies" this was a weird time travel story that kind of hurt my head a little bit and I don't know if there is another definition of Zombie because the title doesn't make any sense to me with the story.
They seemed to be a standard paranoid conspiracy theorist story with the little 'slip' to let you know in there really is a conspiracy
Our Fair City cute and strange story with a sentient wind
"And He Built a Crooked House" this is a story with weird geometry.

Over all this was a fun book to read.