My first year teaching I taught at a Montessori school (high school level). I was not Montessori trained or anything and I really didn't know much about it when I started. One of the teachers gave me this book to read and though I was interested in learning about the method I was supposed to be using, the day to day was more than enough to keep me busy and I never read it.
This year, I brought it with me to school and read it during RAP.
When I was reading this, I started out reading it for information and as I read though it I realized that much of the child development that was being described was stuff that I already knew and that some of the biological stuff was a bit out of date (there have been advances in biological sciences since the printing of this book in 1949) I think that reading this book would be much more interesting if I could have read it in a more historical context, what was known at the time and how different was what she was saying compared to what was generally accepted at this time. I would also be interested to do a little more reading to find out who her intended audience was for this book.