Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Clublife - Rob the Bouncer

This was one of those "On the Endcap at the Library" sort of books. (Actually I think it was on one of the "Hot New Books" tables, but anyway) The cover of the book advertised it to be about the sex, drugs and strange things that happen in real New York night clubs. To me that sounded interesting enough to pick up and read.

Well, this book was not nearly as interesting as the dust jacket made it appear. The author is a misanthrop who hates his life and spends the majority of the book talking about (trying to justify) his unhappy life. Most of the descriptions about the clubs are on how he hates the people who go to the clubs. There are a few funny stories about interactions that happened but not enough to keep the book consistantly interesting.

After re-reading the dust jacket I noticed that the author "Rob the Bouncer" is a "well known blogger" and it gave his blog address. Though at this time I have not taken the time to look up this blog I can imagine that daily or frequent blogging on the craziness of a club would make for interesting reading that might not exactly translate well into a book.