Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Next - Michael Crichton

I have not read a Michael Crichton book since early high school. I read my way through Jurassic Park, Sphere (my favorite), Congo, Andromeda Strain and Terminal Man. I thought they were all brilliant and I listed him as a favorite author for quite some time.

I had seen this book on the shelf at the book store for a while and just wasn't that interested in buying it. I happened to get it from my mom for free, so that all worked out.

While I was reading it I enjoyed it for the most part. Because it has been probably more than 10 years since I last read a Michael Crichton book, I don't really remember his style. This book though, seemed very similar to the John Grisham book I resently read and in some way a bit like reading Dan Brown. - Just in the way it was written

I enjoyed some of the story archs - the transgenetic animals were interesting and didn't like some - the "owned" cells that resulted in a bounty hunter after a mother and son. The latter I didnt' like so much I was willing to write the whole book off but the story redeamed its self in the end - the complait I had was brought out and addressed with in the story.

After the story there was an author's opinion section on some of the topics addressed in the story and I actually thought that was more fun to read then the story. There was also a bibliography/suggested reading list and I was a bit pleased to see that I had read two of the books listed, heard of a few more and found a few that sounded like interesting reads.