Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

Thsi is a book that has been on my "should read" list for a long time. I have loved some of the movie adaptations of this story - Bridget Jones's Diary (one of my absolute favorite movies) and Bride & Prejudice. I have read references to this story many times (most notably in Jasper Fforde). I picked it up at Barnes and Noble during a "shopping spree" and took it to work to read during "RAP" I finally finished it the other day.

I had wanted to watch the BBC Miniseries version of it and found a copy of it to watch. At the time I had only gotten about halfway though the book and was only going to watch up to the point that I had read but ofcourse, once I had started watching, that plan fell by the wayside pretty quick. I totally enjoyed this version and plan on buying it so I can watch it over and over again.

Finishing reading the book was a bit tortuous, with state testing going on, I missed out on about a week's worth of the reading period. It was an enjoyable read though and I completly see my self picking it up for a re-read later on.

I am interested in reading the other works by Jane Austen but not just yet.

My (quick) thoughts on Mr. Darcy: reading about him (especially knowing how it will end) and having watched charismatic Collin Firth play him (as well as Marc Darcy in Bridget Jones's Diary) is quite exciting. The suspense and drama of his aloof character makes for good reading but the reality of him is something I would not enjoy. Though it is romantic on paper or in film, the reality of such a man would not hold my interest. However, that being said, I think I could watch Collin Firth play him all day. . . ;-)