Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet

This was the summer selection for my book club. It's a long one (nearly 1000 pages in trade paperback) but there was the hope that with three months between meetings that we would be able to get it done. Really, I knew that there wouldn't be a problem for me, goodness, I could have read that in a month no problem. In fact, I started this book on Friday and it is now wednesday. . .

Anyway. I didn't know that to expect from this book. I knew that it was about a cathedral being built, I knew that it was an "Oprah" book and I had known a few people who had read it and enjoyed it.

It was really good!

I like reading "fantasy" books, many of them set in time periods with knights and castles and limited technology. This book was set during the 1100's in England (and a bit on the continent). So it was essentiall the type of book that I already like! It neat because it used a lot of historical references and references to real places. I also liked that because it was not a "fantasy" story, it didn't follow the usual plot devices that are often found in that genre

I am looking forward to talking to my book group about this book (I do really hope that other people finish it!) I have already passed this book on to my husband to read, I hope he likes it too.

I know there is a new sequal to this book, I will look into it but I am not sure if I want to read it. I really thought this one did a nice job of wrapping things up. ..we'll see.