Another 25 cent library book sale book.
I had never heard of this book when I bought it. For 25 cents I'm willing to take a chance on quite a lot. This book sounded interesting enough.
In reading this book, I was reminded first of Catcher in the Rye and thought that perhaps this is the book that Catcher would have been if Holden would have been more sexually expressive. This book also reminded me a bit of She's Come Undone but I really liked Wally Lamb's writting much more than Lise Haines.
The main character really wasn't that interesting, she was a teenager who had had things rough and was acting out sexually. I thought the characters were kind of weak and a lot of the story a bit unbelievable. The sister's boyfriend having sex with the girl and either not knowing who it was or being willing to not acknowledge it and the whole bit of the father abandoning them and then secretly living in their house as a lodger later on. Too weird.
I had taken this book out with me when I had dinner at Whitey's last week. I had forgotten the book there and only remembered it when I was halfway home. Okay, I only live 4 blocks away so I easily could have turned around and gotten it, but even about a quarter of the way in I had decided that setting this book free wouldn't be a terrible thing. The next tuesday when I went to Whitey's after knittng, the very friendly waitress handed me my book back, so I didn't really set it free after all. I felt that I then needed to finish it - blah.