Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Wedding Officer - Anthony Capella

This is a book that I found interesting not for the story but for the setting. It took place in Italy during the second world war. This is the second or third book that I have read that takes place during this time (ofcourse I can't remember the others that I have read, one reason why this blog was started. . .) and learning more about that time and place always amazes me.

The little bits of WWII that I have learned in school focus on the Holocaust (which ofcourse, is incredibly important to learn about) and the dropping of atomic bombs.

In general my knowledge of that war is pretty spotty. When I learn about what happened in Italy, it makes me really sad (well, learning about war in general makes me sad) It seems that the average person in Italy was constantly on the wrong side. The Germans were the bad guys and the Allies weren't much better. The decisions that people had to make just to survive were tough.

In this book so much of the focus was on the Allies' villification of the average Italian. Labling women as prostitutes because they had to trade sex for food, stealing food from people. ..

The story was cute enough, the ending got a bit weird, with the guerrilla warfare sort of bit at the end but I guess I didnt' care about the story that much.

I heard that it has been optioned for a movie. I probably wont see it.