Thursday, August 14, 2008

She's Come Undone - Wally Lamb

Another Hayward Library Book Sale find (again a whole 25 cents).

This had been an Oprah's Book club book (I think) so again this had been one of those popular books. I have read other Oprah books and most of the time have only been moderatly impressed with them. (Don't even get me started on Jaqueline Michard's Deep End of the Ocean, which I had read long before Oprah even started her book club. . .ick) Anyway. Wally Lamb has a new book out and is part of this season's Talking Volumes series through Minnesota Public radio. I probably wont go to that one, I am not about to buy his new book in hard cover.

I don't think I knew anything about this book when I bought it, other than it was an Oprah book and a lot of people seemed to really like it.

It was amazing. The amount of detail that went into the main character is incredible. To have a book this long that focuses so much on a character and not so much on a story. The book had a story, it was the story of the girl but it was more character driven not plot driven.

At the point when Doloros goes into the mental hospital, I intially felt that the book was conviently writing off her experiences and then she would come out "all better" and get on with things. That was not the case at all. I tried to imagine what would happen in this day and age to some one like that. I imagine there would be a lot more medication.

All in all, this was a great book. Yes, it was long. Yes, it was depressing. You keep hoping that things will get better for her and they never do. But isn't that life sometimes? There aren't always happy endings in real life.